Friday, February 20, 2009

My own Time machine

If Doc Brown can make one from a DeLorean, I can make one from a Honda Odyssey. :) It's an easy recipe: Take one Honda Odyssey, and just add Ipod!

The kids like to watch a movie on the way to swim team. It's a 25-30 minute ride, each way, and usually the only tv time my son gets during the week days. So, I eat those "I'll Never Let My Kids Watch TV IN The CAR!!!!" words I used to utter. But, I get tired of hearing Tom and Jerry cartoons (their latest craze) over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseum.

Now, I hope this isn't a rule breaker, but if it is, I just hope I don't get caught. I plug my Ipod in a toss one or two ear buds in I'm instantly transported. It's amazing how a song can take you back. The B-52's "Roam" instantly transported me to Lancaster County countryside circa 1990. I had graduated from college and had NO idea what to do with my life. I knew I didn't want to stay in Lancaster, but I was unsure of breaking out on my own. I would drive around the county, through corn and tobacco fields, past Amish and Mennonite farms still operating as they had for 200 years - no electricity, no indoor plumbing. I would search for a Turkey Hill and get some of their great iced tea, then drive on exploring the countryside.

I wondered what my future had in store for me? What do I have to offer the world, and what does it have to offer me? Where would I be in 20 years? I know the answers to some of those questions now. And those answers, especially the two sitting in the back seat, put a big smile on my face. I love my time machine!

No comments: