Monday, August 4, 2008

It's the same at the beginning and the end.....

Today we took Nona (grandma) to visit DC, where she grew up. We visited two musems, and had lunch at a favorite haunt.

Walking through DC with Nona, I realized just how much we regress physically as we age. Don't mistake me: my Mother-in-Law is a wonderful lady. She's lots of fun to visit with, she loves to spend time with her grandkids, and she loves to help out. She is full of life and energy, but after a few broken bones and arthritis her get-up-and-go is not the same as it was 20 years ago.

I really enjoyed taking her on a romp through her old stomping grounds and listening to her stories of days of old. I pushed Ellie in the stroller to and from the museums and carried her to and from the restaurant. We had a 3 1/2 block walk to the restaurant, luckily some of it was shaded. On that walk I realized how I'd become used to traveling at the frenetic speed of an 8year old. Nona walks at about 1/3rd our speed. Surprisingly, so does Ellie! Her small steps and Nona's are the same. Luckily I can still pick Ellie up and high-tail it when needed. Like when the meter runs out on your car :)

Since I can't carry Nona, :) I have to plan better for the next trip so that we can spend more time enjoying the musems and less time walking to and fro.

No comments: