Wednesday, September 24, 2008

As An Ex-Alaskan, what Do I Think of Sarah Palin....

what do I think of Sarah Palin? Of course, the day after her acceptance speech to the RNC, I think that everyone who asked that question was assuming a very positive response on my part.

Ummm, I had to hemm-and-haw a bit. Especially with folks I just barely know. But even with people who knew me in Alaska, ummm, well, uhh, can I get back to you?????

In fact, my family will confirm this, my political opinions have changed dramatically throughout my adult life: from far-left, to middle, to right-of-middle, and back to left-of-middle (if not more left than that). Parenthood, and stay-at-home-mom-hood helped to forge a more conservative view. Then there was the parenthood of a child with special needs.... definitely a more conservative view.

However, although I am against eugenics, I applaud the Kennedy-Brownback Bill (and Patricia's website), but I can not be against Choice. That issue requires thoughtful expression, and a blog all it's own. Look for it soon.

In the meantime, here are 6 of the reasons why John McCain's choice to use Sarah Palin in an attempt to garner this woman's vote has totally backfired. And so my conservative friends, I hope you understand...this mama is for O-Bama!

So what do I think of Sarah Palin? In the words of Borat, "Not so much." There are a variety of reasons and so in no particular order I begin with the most outlandish thing I've ever heard in politics...

1. "Witchcraft??!!??!!" OMG!!!!! I just finished watching the news tonight (MSNBC w/Keith Olbermann discussing Sarah Palin's old minister) and I am beyond shocked. The VP of a major world super-power should be beyond witch hunts. I don't know about you, but I have no desire to return to life in Salem circa 1692.

2.I like to call this "Palintology" (but I did see that first on Keith Olbermann's show tonight). Science. The scientific method. The Vice President of a world super power should believe in science, evolution, global warming and carbon dating. She should not believe that the world is 6000 years old. She should agree with her Presidential running mate that humans have played a role in global warming, and that it is a real challenge facing our world. And for those of you who are unfamiliar with Creation Science ( a complete oxymoron) do check the link out, and scroll down to the section "Characteristics and Beliefs" where it describes the beliefs of Young Earth Creationism. They discount the scientific method when it is inconvenient to their belief structure. Their beliefs colminate in the idea that dinosaurs and Man roamed the Earth together about 6,000 years ago. Essentially, the Flintstones as reality TV. That is the end of their Great Waterslide down the slippery slope known as "faith as science" hill. I am unapologetically critical because I have Faith in God and I understand the basic principles of science and they work together. I believe He is Just, Kind and Honest. I don't think for an instant He would need to Lie to us. And that's what Creation Science requires. A BIG LIE.

3. This isn't really a reason, as naming your children is a very personal thing. But this is pretty funny: I found a link to the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator. I would be Wrangler Tractor Palin. After #2, we needed something a bit light hearted :)

4. Truth about Earmarks. She says she's against earmarks, but what she does is ask for and accept them. Gladly. I happen to agree with Sen. McCain about earmarks, but I think that he sold his position out entirely when he chose Sarah Palin. I don't believe his position on fiscal responsibility and Earmarks any longer.

a. She claims to have said "no thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere. But we all know she was for it. I lived there, and remember that she was for it, before she was against it. But only after it became so politically unpopular (in the lower 48) . Now there is a road (love the picture!) to nowhere. (it's finished now).
b. Here's what she had to say about Representative Don Young, "And our congressional delegation, God bless 'em. They do a great job for us. Representative Don Young, especially God bless him, with transportation -- Alaska did so well under the very basic provisions of the transportation act that he wrote just a couple of years ago. We had a nice bump there. We're very, very fortunate to receive the largesse that Don Young was able to put together for Alaska." –Sarah Palin, on federal pork and earmarks secured by Rep. Don Young (R-AK) (I lost this link and am looking for it...check back)

5. Aerial Bear and Wolf Hunting. Ok. I lived in Alaska, and although my husband and I are not and could not be hunters, I get that hunting is big there. I don't have a problem with traditional hunting....but I have a huge problem with aerial bear and wolf hunting. Read the link - enough said.

6. Geography. Ok, so she never said, "I can see Russia from my house" but it sure did make you laugh!! Thank you Tina Fey!! But, really, she did claim to have some foreign policy knowledge because Russia is a neighbor, and you can see it from part of Alaska??!!?!! This link is to the interview with Katie Couric.

These are just a few reasons why I won't support Sarah Palin, and why John McCain lost my vote.

No comments: