Thursday, September 4, 2008

small steps in so many directions

Well, this blog started as a blog about raising a child with a disability and the small steps she and I and the whole family take each day. We learn a little more every day, and she progresses a little more, lately it seems like every day. Which is very exciting!

But as Ellie grows, and truly becomes more independent I have time to get back to the other parts of my life and interests. Of course I don't have much time in any given day or week, so there too I make small steps. The big area of interest for me right now is running. I love to run, although I'm not fast, I just love the feeling. I tried to get back into running last summer and forgot that I was older, and training on hills (really big Alaskan sized hills). So, it felt good and the next thing I knew I was over training and blew out my hamstrings. Well, mostly my right one. So, I took it easy and then we got orders to move and I REALLY took it easy. With running at least. I had lots to occupy my time otherwise.

Now that we are settled, and my hamstring feels better I started running again. But this time not so fast and furious. I am learning to take small steps here too. I have finally learned the benefits of rest - maybe. It's hard to take a day off of running - the weather's beautiful. But I have goals and I don't want to hurt myself again. In 1 week I have my 2nd 5k of the season. My goal is a sub 30 a big improvement from June. As I said, I'm not fast, and 8 months off hurt my time. After that I hope to successfully train for my first 1/2 marathon in December. It feels good to run, but I can tell that I am older. I listen to my body better now, or maybe it just hollars at me louder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!